The McKenzie River Trust is looking for a Restoration and Stewardship Associate. This field-based position would be ideal for an individual interested in assisting with floodplain restoration and managing land for ecologic goals. The majority of the work will take place in the field on the Green Island property owned by the Trust near Coburg. Additional work may take place on other Trust managed properties and the MRT office in Eugene as assigned.
The McKenzie River Trust is a land trust based in Eugene that helps people protect and care for the lands and rivers they cherish in Western Oregon.
Stewardship Assistant will perform the following activities:
- Maintenance and monitoring of native plantings to include:
- Mowing on tractor or other machinery
- Irrigating native trees and shrubs (utilizing industrial scale aluminum hand line, wheel line, and gun with traveler)
- Invasive plant management, to include:
- Identifying and GPS/flag non-native plant species
- Mechanical control of invasive species (using a variety of methods: brush cutter, hand tools, tractor mowing, skid-steer mowing, etc.)
- Chemical control of invasive species: applying herbicides safely and effectively, according to labels, laws, and best practices to achieve restoration objectives
- Completing riparian/stream habitat assessments
- Working with volunteers, partners, and MRT staff to accomplish tasks
- Safely operate and maintain equipment (ATV, spray trailer, weed-eater, chainsaw, tractor, & skid-steer, truck, trailers, etc.)
- Assisting Restoration Projects Manager with the maintenance of equipment and contractor management/scheduling as needed
- Other related tasks as assigned