The mission of the Organic Farming Research Foundation (OFRF) is to foster the improvement and widespread adoption of organic farming systems. OFRF envisions a future where organic farming is the leading form of agriculture. Our goal is to broaden access to and involvement in our programs; working toward greater equity in our food and agriculture systems overall. Since our founding in 1990, OFRF has sponsored organic farming research, education, and outreach to support organic and transitioning farmers across North America. This work is complemented by efforts to share our findings with policy makers, agricultural institutions, and federal agencies to support broader change and advance the organic sector.
The OFRF Research and Education (R&E) Senior Scientist is a full-time, benefited, exempt position. While the organization is based in Santa Cruz, CA, this position has the ability to work remotely within the USA.
The Senior Scientist is responsible for leading the development of our online organic research content hub, a project that is a key component of our multi-year USDA Transition to Organic Partnership Program. This position also provides support on other R&E programmatic activities, including: supporting OFRF’s new Farmer-Led Research program; planning and facilitation of webinars, conferences, and meetings with researchers and farmers; and writing for research-related outreach and communications. This position reports to the R&E Program Director.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead, develop and launch OFRF’s new online content hub showcasing research and science-based information for organic and transitioning farmers, including: creating accessible research summaries/ infographics/ factsheets for a farmer audience, internal planning for hub layout and design , gathering and implementing feedback from farmers and advisors.
- Assist with OFRF’s on-farm research program and farmer-learning trials by providing guidance on research protocol, project design, and helping farmers with statistical analysis.
- Assist with planning and facilitation of online webinars or meetings with farmers and researchers, including identifying scholars with relevant expertise.
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with organic researchers and OFRF-funded researchers, past and present.
- Participate in developing, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on projects related to R&E activities.
- Provide programmatic support for a variety of R&E projects, including curriculum development, online research and literature reviews, assisting with cleaning datasets, etc.
- Create communication and outreach materials to promote R&E projects.
- Support planning and facilitation of virtual and in-person R&E meetings, workshops, and field days with growers and/or researchers, such as our annual research forum and other networking events.
- Cultivate collaborations and engagement with external partners.
- Represent OFRF at conferences and events, and support stakeholder outreach.
- Other tasks, as assigned by your supervisor.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree required, PhD preferred, in sustainable agriculture, agronomy, soil science, horticulture, ecology, environmental studies, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in agriculture research, education and/or outreach, or a related field.
- Ability to identify, review, and summarize scientific literature and research articles.
- Ability to effectively communicate science to a lay audience.
- Experience designing and conducting scientific experiments in agriculture, soil science, horticulture, ecology or related fields.
- Statistics background and experience using statistics software (such as: R, SPSS, SAS, Stata, etc.)
- Experience working with Canvas or other online curriculum development platforms, preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to adhere to strict project deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal and written communication, as well as visual presentations.
- Ability to work professionally with a diverse group of individuals to accomplish goals, including staff, farmers, partners and donors.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of OFRF, including alignment with OFRF’s racial equity, inclusion and diversity initiatives.
- Proficiency with common software applications, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience working independently and collaboratively in a remote setting using Microsoft Teams, Google Drive, Google Suite, and Asana.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
Starting salary range $65-74k depending on experience. OFRF offers a competitive benefits package and a great work environment with lots of flexibility. We look for co-workers who can have fun and are committed to working for a cause we love.
OFRF is an equal opportunity employer. Just as in the natural world where diversity creates resilience and strength, we believe a diverse workplace is crucial to the success of our organization and our efforts to support organic farmers. We strive to create a safe and supportive office culture and workplace that encourages racial and social equity. OFRF has a zero-tolerance policy for discrimination of any kind, and we encourage all qualified applicants to apply no matter their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran or disability status.