The Market Coordinator position for the Salem Community Markets is a part-time position with the primary responsibility of assisting with the set-up and tear down of market equipment and materials as well as providing support and assistance throughout the market day. Hours vary based on seasonal need and market assignment. This position requires an on-site presence at the market during market hours. The Market Coordinator reports directly to the Market Manager but ultimately to the Executive Director.
About the Market:
Salem Community Markets is a non-profit organization located in Salem, Oregon. Salem Community Markets currently operates four outdoor markets and the Holiday Market. All markets open rain or shine.
Salem Saturday Market – Operates 9am to 3pm from April through October – Staff Hours: 6:30am to 4pm
Wednesday Farmers’ Market – Operates 9:30am to 1:30pm from May through mid-September – Staff Hours: 6:45am to 2:45pm
Monday Hospital Market – Operates 9:30am to 1:30pm from May through September – Staff Hours: 7:00am to 2:30pm
Thursday West Salem Market – Operates 9:30am to 1:30pm from May through mid-September – Staff Hours: 7:00am to 2:30pm
Holiday Market – a three day indoor event at the Oregon State Fairgrounds the second weekend in December each year
- Start work shift at the Market Office or onsite at market location assigned, as directed by supervisor.
- Work with Market Manager and staff to unload equipment from the market vehicle and begin setup process.
- Assist and setup Information Booth and all market related equipment and materials to include: signage, food court canopies/tables/chairs, garbage receptacles, etc.
- Provide excellent customer service – answer questions and information requests for customers and vendors.
- Keep market booth clean, organized and professional at all times.
- Throughout market day, process credit card and EBT transactions for customers.
- Assist in keeping market clean and tidy throughout the day by ensuring tables and chairs are clean, and debris picked up.
- Assist in enforcement of all market rules, food safety guidelines and pertinent laws and regulations to ensure that the market and its vendors comply with all city, county and state regulations required.
- Provide customers with sales and promotional materials (market bags, post cards, etc).
- Perform booth checks to ensure vendors have weights, proper signage, etc.
- Assist Market Manager in resolving any disputes, emergencies, complaints and requests that may arise with patience and diplomacy.
- Conduct equipment maintenance and repairs, as needed.
- Provide onsite security support as needed throughout the market day.
- At end of market day, assist Market Manager in loading up all market related equipment and materials into the market vehicle in an organized and safe fashion.
- Communicate ideas and feedback from customers and vendors to Market Director.
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
- Prior experience with farmers’ markets preferred
- Excellent customer service skills – verbal, interpersonal communication and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to initiate tasks and projects and follow through to completion
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and age groups
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Must have a current, valid OR motor vehicle license as well as DMV record clear of violations
- Must have reliable transportation
Work Hours: It is expected that the Market Coordinator will work approximately 8 to 30 hours per week, dependent upon availability and the assigned market.
The Market Coordinator should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Behave Ethically – Understand ethical behavior and business practices and ensure own behavior and the behavior of others are consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Build Relationships – Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively – Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Foster Teamwork – Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead – Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Organize – Set priorities, develop a plan, monitor progress towards goals and track details, data, information and activities.
- Plan – Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems – Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
Salem Community Markets does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.