To apply for a job, you must first sign up for the site.
The Hood River Farmers Market is a well-established farmers market, founded in 2006. As the largest farmers market in the Columbia River Gorge, this position requires an organized and detail-oriented assistant manager. With an average customer attendance of 860, and over 1,000 customers per day in peak season, the market is a fast-paced but rewarding environment. There are about 40 vendors at the peak of the season. While the focus of this market is on food, the market also showcases rotating makers and crafters. The Hood River Farmers Market is held every Saturday 9:00 am – 1:00 pm from May – the Saturday before Thanksgiving.
We are seeking a dynamic and detail- oriented person to fill the Farmers Market Assistant Manager position. The Farmers Market Assistant Manager is required to work a schedule of every Saturday from approximately 6:30/7:00am – 3:00pm during the outdoor season and 10:00am – 5:00pm during indoor market dates. All market positions report directly to Farmers Market Manager with oversight by the Gorge Grown Executive Director. This includes an on-site presence at the market during all hours, as well as off-site work during non-market hours.
he Farmers Market Assistant Manager is a part-time position responsible for supporting operations of the Hood River Farmers Market.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Treat vendors and customers with courtesy, respect, and diplomacy
• Direct and orient new vendors, community table participants, community groups and musicians for optimal set up
• Assist the Farmers Market Manager in enforcing vendor rules, operating procedures, food safety guidelines and other pertinent laws and regulations
• Communicate food access programs and market token use accurately to customers and vendors
• Assist the Farmers Market Manger in sales of farmers market tokens, merchandise and collection of booth fees
• Answer questions from all vendors and customers, and ask for clarification/support when needed
• Handle emergencies, complaints, and requests with patience and diplomacy
• Maintain market grounds in a safe, clean and inviting manner
• Oversee customer counts each market day and periodic dot surveys to assess the level of growth in market usage and collect market data
• Assure the market site is clean once the market is closed and the vendors have left for the day
• Ensure that all facilities, equipment and utilities are in working order, and that all doors are locked as appropriate prior to departure
• Ensure that the market boxes are very organized upon return to the Gorge Grown office or market trailer including finances and informational materials General Responsibilities
• Work closely with the Farmers Market Manager, the Executive Director and other staff as needed to identify potential problems, creative solutions and innovative ideas to further the goals of the market
• Keep lines of communication open between all staff, vendors and volunteers
• Build community relationships with farmers, inspectors, businesses, city government, nonprofits, OSU Extension agents, food banks, charity groups, farmers market volunteers etc.
• Be informed of Oregon Department of Agriculture and Hood River County Health Department rules and market guidelines, and enforce compliance
• Be informed of SNAP, WIC, and other supplemental nutrition programs
• Be informed of all market tokens and record keeping forms for management
• Participate in monthly staff meetings
• Recruit, coordinate and supervise market volunteers throughout market season
• Assist the Farmers Market Manager to coordinate volunteer scheduling and activities; ensure that each market has volunteers in advance
• Assist the Farmers Market Manager in promotion of the market: sandwich board displays, monthly newsletter updates including seasonal recipes, and other promotional information to solicit more shoppers
• Work with the staff to define market policy and to plan for further development of the market
• Work with staff to annually update application process and market policy processes
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Farmers Market Manager or Executive Director
• Assist with preparation tasks before the market season beings as needed: solicit market sponsorship, clean out market trailer, paint market signs etc.
• Attention to detail, particularly regarding financial records
• A high-energy, friendly attitude
• Ability to work every Saturday during the market season
• Ability to lift 50 pounds in and out of a raised trailer repeatedly
• Creative problem solving skills
• Effective verbal and written communication skills. Should be able to adapt communication style to suit different audiences
• Action oriented. Should be able to follow up on feedback to ensure positive outcomes
• Experience in retail sales
• Conversational level of Spanish language
additional info: www.gorgegrown.com/jobs