Job Description: This position will play a key role in all aspects of certified organic vegetable and flower seed production. Field work will include sowing seed and managing plant starts, transplanting, hand weeding, cultivation, and irrigation management. Seed work will include seed crop harvest, threshing, processing, and seed cleaning. This position will have an opportunity to engage in plant breeding, seed stewardship, selection, and the nuances of organic open-pollinated seed production. Other seasonal farm tasks as needed may include fence repair, irrigation repair, and some light construction.
Desired Skills Include:
- Ability and passion for physical work outside all day in all weather, from hot sun to cold rain.
- Open communicator – follows instructions, asks clarifying questions, suggests improvements. Open to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Keen observation skills, attention to detail, able to see subtle differences between similar plants.
- Able to lift, carry, and maneuver up to 50 lbs.
- Aware of the need to balance efficiency and quality with workflow.
- Passion for food justice and organic soil-based agriculture.
- Basic understanding of and familiarity with commonly cultivated food plants.
- Comfortable working alone, and with a team.
- Organized and respectful of time management.
- Willingness to aid in record keeping.
- This position is 40 hours a week, year-round.
- Depending on seasonal workload, some flextime scheduling is available.
- Full-time employees receive paid time off, sick pay, and selected paid holidays.
- We are a multigenerational family farm, children are often present during work.
- Opportunity for professional development in organic seed related subjects through conferences, farm tours, as available.
- Opportunity to grow personal crops at Avoca as space allows, and occasional access to plant starts and produce.
- The farm is accessible by bike to and from Corvallis, mostly on a flat paved bike path.
- Job review at 3 months with potential for advancement.
- COVID-19 protocols are in place and include mandatory face coverings/masks, physical distancing, and frequent sanitizing.
Number of positions available: 1