Farm Production Manager, Whistling Duck Farm, a certified organic mixed vegetable farm in the Applegate Valley of Southern Oregon
Full time, permanent, salaried position, 40-50 hours per week depending on season, including some weekends
Whistling Duck Farm is a year-round production certified organic vegetable farm. We have an on-site natural foods store, a commercial production kitchen, a fermented and dried foods line, an online seed garlic business, and local wholesale accounts. We have been farming in Southern Oregon since 1991, and in the Applegate Valley since 2003.
This position includes the following duties:
- Implement seasonal and succession planting of 30+ crops
- Create crop plan and schedule for projected sales needs across multiple outlets
- Create full season planning and implementation for field prep, fertilization, planting, cultivation, harvest, including assessment and procurement of tools and supplies needed and projections for harvest yields
- Utilize tractors and implements for field prep, maintenance and cultivation
- Train, schedule and manage field and harvest crew
- Schedule and manage harvest to meet the needs of wholesale accounts, farm store and kitchen, and to ensure maximum return on plantings
- Complete regular record-keeping for financial and efficiency tracking, future scheduling and certification needs
- Work closely with owners and fellow managers (farm store and kitchen) to assure the farm is functioning at peak efficiency and is best meeting the needs of the all business production and marketing ventures and profit for the farm enterprise overall
- Oversee the usage and maintenance of all equipment, including working with our mechanic to ensure equipment is being used correctly by all staff and is being serviced appropriately
- Keep informed of current trends and innovations and pursue ongoing education and professional development through research and networking with other farms and farmers
- Assess and adapt on an hourly, daily, weekly basis to the current realities present on the farm to make good decisions for best-possible results.
We are seeking a committed, year-round farm production manager interested in a long term, multi-year position.
Experience: A minimum of 4 full seasons on an organic practices market-based vegetable farm, with a minimum 2 seasons at management level.
- Adaptable; able to navigate and thrive in dynamic, changing circumstances
- Optimistic, positive outlook; can see potentials and not fear problems, is excited for future successes and not judging present challenges
- Innovative; inspired by new and interesting possibilities
- Perceptive; able to see the nuance and read the full scope of a situation
- Detail-oriented; able to create a comprehensive roadmap and follow it accurately
- Big picture; able to project back and forward to see how current decisions and events play into the larger, long-range vision
- Organized; able to stage multiple projects and timelines and oversee staff to successful completion
- Good communicator, excellent language skills
- Able to manage conflict and differences using constructive communication
- Good delegator
- Can inspire and manage a team to productive results
- Excellent mechanical and spatial skills
On-farm housing possible. However, we are a family with kids and pets, we live a healthy organic life and require anyone living on-farm to be clean and mindful of others. No smoking or excessive substance use. No additional pets. No long term guests without prior agreement. A security deposit will be required for anyone living on-farm, and will be returned when all personal belongings are removed and the living space is returned to its original status.
While this is a year round position, an annual off-season vacation is included.