Adaptive Seeds is a certified organic farm-based seed company located in rural Linn County, Oregon, about 45 minutes from Eugene and Corvallis. We steward and sell open-pollinated, rare, diverse and resilient seed varieties for ecologically-minded farmers, gardeners and seed savers through online sales and wholesale seed racks. We grow over 200 crops each season on about 4 acres.
Adaptive Seeds Crew Member
The Adaptive Seeds Crew Member will work both independently and with others on general farm field tasks, and will perform seasonal seed packing / order fulfillment office work. At least one season of farm field experience, a love of physical labor, and an eagerness to learn about organic seed production is desired.
Full time (40 hrs per week), year-round.
$13.50/hr to start, DOE.
Number of positions available: 2
Start Date: Immediately or as soon as possible; position open until filled.
- Order fulfillment support – assistance in our office manually filling seed packets and fulfilling orders with exceptional precision, care and efficiency.
- Planting – hand transplanting, direct seeding with push-type seeders, and greenhouse sowing.
- Cultivation – use of standing hoes, wheel hoes, and occasional hand weeding.
- Other field work – construction of trellises and pollination cages, use of fabric for crop protection, etc.
- Irrigation – set-up, operation, and maintenance of both overhead and drip irrigation systems.
- Seed work – harvest, processing, and cleaning many types of seeds, both wet and dry-seeded.
- Cleaning and maintenance of facilities, grounds, and equipment.
- Exceptionally high attention to detail while maintaining proficiency and efficiency in a fast-paced,team oriented work environment.
- Capable of doing full days of physical work, including bending over for long periods.
- 1+ year experience farming organic vegetables preferred.
- Self-motivated, disciplined, hard working, organized, responsible, independent and positive.
- Willing to accept feedback and take instructions.
- Proficient in working independently and/or with others.
- Competence in performing basic mental math including addition, subtraction, spatial relations, and estimating distance.
- Have a valid driver’s license and ability to drive a manual transmission vehicle.
- Able to lift, carry, and maneuver up to 50lbs.
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity for detailed seed cleaning and seed packing work.
- Competency and safety in use of special equipment, including walk-behind tiller, weed whacker, flame weeder, threshing and seed cleaning equipment.
- Skilled in working outdoors in all weather, including very hot, cold, rainy, etc.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible with a sense of humor and positive attitude.
- Must be able to legally work in the United States.
- Flexibility in work schedule depending on seasonal workload.
- Dust, mold, and other allergens are present in the work environment.
- Must be able to tolerate a cat-friendly environment.
- For further details about the company culture at Adaptive Seeds, and the qualities we’re looking for in a teammate, please see our ‘General Employment Considerations’.
- COVID-19 protocols are in place and include social distancing, and frequent sanitizing of high-touch surfaces.
In addition to hourly compensation, full time permanent Adaptive Seeds employees enjoy paid holidays; sick pay and paid time off; flexible scheduling; paid parental leave; employee discounts; occasional plant starts and produce from the farm; educational opportunities.
Adaptive Seeds is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description at any time.