Aprovecho is taking applications for the second year of its Farm Incubator Program. The goal of this program is to provide low-cost land access to market farmers while growing the farm- and garden-related educational offerings at Aprovecho. We are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible with an individual enthusiastic about the development of both off site and on-site produce sales and hands on agroecology education.
Aprovecho wishes to support the growth of small farm businesses by providing not only land access but business training and support through our Sustainable Business Development program. As part of the farm incubator program, participants are eligible for a 3:1 matching grant of up to $12,000 which they can use towards the start-up costs of their business. This grant begins dispensing 6-25 months after approved application, dependent upon the amount of funds applied for.
RESOURCES AVAILABLE TO GARDEN MANAGER
- Approximately 1 acre of beautiful 25 year-old garden beds on a sunny south facing hillside.
- Chicken coop and yard
- Two top bar beehives
- Moveable electric fence for animal management
- Approximately 6 yards of finished compost
- 2 20’ x 48’ un-heated greenhouses
- 30 gpm of pressurized well water for irrigation
- Access to a 300 gallon natural spring for low pressure irrigation
- A garden shed with potting bench, tool storage, and shade
- Professional gas powered line-trimmer / weed-wacker
- Various garden hoses and irrigation infrastructure
- Access to Aprovecho’s seed collection and annual seed donations
- Use of Aprovecho’s non-profit status for the purpose of soliciting tax-exempt donations of seeds & materials
- Access to meetings with former Aprovecho Garden Managers who can help you in your planning to understand which crops and techniques have historically done well and which haven’t
- Opportunities for stewardship of other livestock, such as sheep, goats, turkeys, etc. by proposal
- Opportunities to teach courses in Aprovecho’s educational programs for additional compensation
- Opportunities to pick up cooking and / or cleaning shifts for additional compensation
- Long-term opportunities to co-develop agro-ecology program with department directors
- Opportunity to participate in Community Education workshops offered on-site throughout the year
- 2 camping platforms to house garden volunteers
- Free access to meals and pantry for garden volunteers
- Small business support through our Sustainable Business Development training program
- Access to 3:1 matching grant up to $12,000 for use in starting your farm business
- Opportunity to rent 800 square foot cabin for $600/month
- To use no synthetic fertilizers or biocides and introduce only organic products to the soil
- Maintain long-term fertility of Aprovecho’s soils by using crop rotations, cover cropping, amendments of animal manures and compost
- Communicate with Aprovecho’s Resident Steward what produce and/or animal products will be available for purchase
- Provide produce and/or animal products in an organized, clean and clear manner
- Be attentive and mindful of maintaining positive and respectful interactions with all of Aprovecho’s residential students and staff
- Be open and accepting of visitors, volunteers, and students touring through the garden
- Provide own tools, irrigation equipment, seed, and other equipment
In exchange for the use of the garden, related infrastructure and aforementioned expenses, the farmer/s will be asked to provide continuous salad mix and to provide 20% of net profits on a quarterly basis to Aprovecho.
ON SITE AND OFF SITE SALES
Aprovecho itself is a good market for high quality organic produce. There will be opportunities to sell crops directly to the Aprovecho kitchen and on-site residential community nearly year-round. In addition, off site sales through a CSA, direct restaurant sales, or to the local grower’s market is a desired outcome.
There is also the opportunity to raise a flock of egg or meat birds and potentially other small livestock by proposal.
Deadline February 15th. A decision will be made the week after. Program begins March 1st.
For more information, please visit our website. If you are interested please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com
Owner’s Short Term Vision for the Property
To be a farm business training and incubator
Owner’s Long Term Vision for the Property
Available Water / Irrigation
30 gpm of pressurized well water for irrigation
Buildings and Structures Available for Farm Use
Garden shed and hoop greenhouse
Farm Equipment Available for Use, Sale or Lease
Garden tools and irrigation system
Locations of land listings on map are not necessarily exact. Many are located on the nearest town or city.
About 1 acre
Acreage Available to Landseeker:
About 1 acre
Date Property is Available:
March 1, 2017
Possible Business Arrangements:
Lease Rate / Price:
To provide mixed salad greens to education center students during programming season
Date when this listing was created:
January 19, 2017
Note: older data was imported into this website between April 21 and May 22, 2016. Land listings modiefied/created within those dates could be older.
Current Farming Practices: Organic, Not Certified
Farming Practices Allowed: Organic, Not Certified
Agriculture Types Suitable: Beans, Bees, Berries, Fiber Animals, Flowers, Goats, Herbs, Mushrooms, Nursery Stock, Nuts, Orchard/Fruit, Poultry, Rabbits, Sheep, Vegetables, Vineyard, Other
Housing Available? Yes
Water Available? Yes
Property Fenced? Yes
Land Holder Interested in Mentoring Land Seeker? Yes